Nepal Signs Deal with Madhesh
Madheshi leaders and PM Koirala sign an 8-point agreement, ending the 16 day Tarai andolan and improving the prospects for CA elections.
The agreement between Govt-United Democratic Madhesi Front, signed on February 28, 2008, grants autonomous statehood for Madhesh region, one of the key demands of Madhesis. The following is the full translated version of the deal:
Agreement between the Nepal Government and UDMF
The following agreement has been reached between the Nepal government and the United Democratic Madhesi Front honouring the people’s aspirations and wishes put forward by the Madhesi people of Nepal during the regular protests and agitation to ensure equality, freedom and justice to every citizen across the country and to ensure Nepal as a federal republican democratic state with multi-party democracy system for government by ending all forms of discrimination effective immediately.
1. The government will declare martyrdom for those killed during the Madhes agitation and provide proper compensation for the injured who haven’t been compensated yet. Similarly, expenses will be provided for treatment for those injured during the agitation, one million rupees will be provided as compensation to the family of those killed during the agitation and those arrested will be released immediately.
2. Nepal will be a federal republican democratic state by accepting the wish of the Madhesi people for an autonomous Madhes state and wish of people of other regions for a autonomous state with federal structure. There will be distinct power sharing between the centre and the region in the federal structure on the basis of list. The regions will have complete autonomy and authority. The elected Constituent Assembly will devise a way to apply the formation of such states and the rights attributed to the region and the centre while keeping national sovereignty, unity and integrity intact.
3. The current 20 percent legal provision mentioned in Article 7, sub-article 14 of the Constituent Assembly Member Election Act-2054 will be increased to 30 percent.
4. The government will compulsory appoint, promote and nominate Madhesi, indigenous communities, women, Dalits, backward areas and minority communities to ensure proportional participation in security bodies and all organs of the state.
5. The entry of Madhesi and other groups into the Nepal Army will be ensured to give the army a national and inclusive structure.
6. The government along with the UDMF urged all armed agitating groups in the Terai to join the peaceful political process and come to talks to resolve all problems. The Nepal government will take immediate steps to create a favourable environment for the same. We appeal everyone to conduct the April 10 elections in a peaceful, fair, non-violent and terror-free manner.
7. The Nepal government will immediately implement the agreement reached with the Madhesi People’s Rights Forum (MPRF) on August 13 last year including releasing those under police detention, dismissing cases against MRPF leaders and activists.
8. All the agitation programmes called by the UDMF will be immediately withdrawn.
The Nepal Government will be responsible for the constitutional, legal, political and administrative (aspects) of the above mentioned subjects. The government will form a high-level monitoring committee comprising government and UDMF representatives to implement the agreement.
Agreement signed on February 28, 2008, by:
Rajendra Mahato, National Chairman, Sadbhavana Party; Upendra Yadav, Central Coordinator, Madhesi People’s Rights Forum, and Mahantha Thakur, Chairman, Terai-Madhes Democratic Party.
From the government's side, Girija Prasad Koirala, Prime Minister
(This is an unofficial translation of the Agreement)
Posted by Editor on February 29, 2008 9:06 AM